Monday, August 6, 2012

Will I be able to keep up with technology?



I can remember being five years old, fast forwarding and rewinding VCR players. Many of my favorite childhood movies are on VCRs (my favorite: “It Takes Two”). Computers became big when I was about seven. I remember the first large, grey, slow computer my family had. Using the internet on that computer was a big deal because it would take up the phone line and my mother was always on the phone or waiting for a phone call; there were no cell phones. My middle school and high school years were focused around the internet, particularly AOL and instant messaging. Everyday after school, my sister, my brother and I would fight over who got to go on AOL to chat with their friends. During my sophomore year of high school, I got my first cell phone! It was a razor cell phone, now replaced by my blackberry, which will soon be replaced by an ipone. The use of computers continued to grow as my high school teachers incorporated slide shows, showed us images, and shared certain videos. The teachers taught me how to use and cite correct sources in high school which helped me write my big research project.
Summer of 2006, I was heading into college, and facebook become big. At first I was reluctant about it, but of course I did it, and loved it. I called my roommate on the phone to introduce myself, but once I got a facebook account, all of my other friends were made were via facebook, no more phone calls. Many of my classes in college were based around technology. The way we signed up for classes, homework assignments and communication with teachers were all done through technology. Instead of visiting a professor during office hours, it was a quick e-mail. Teachers would have us post on blackboard, and walked us through the steps on how to do it, which helped tremendously.
Returning home from college in 2010, my family no longer has a big gray computer to fight over. My brother, sister and I have our own laptops and my parents each have their own computer. Technology can be great until problems arise. I try to figure them out, but am afraid I will make it worse.
Where there used to be a VCR, there is now solely a DVD player which still does not allow me to play “It Takes Two”. I will have to watch it on demand because there are no longer any Blockbusters around! My friends and I would always go to Blockbuster, now we have to find a Red Box and can even reserve our movie online for us to pick up. I seem to adapt well to the new technology, but as it is moving so quick and things keep updating, I am not sure if I can keep up. Sitting in my technology class today, I was thinking, I guess I have tons to learn and will I ever be able to keep up with technology to learn it all?

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I almost laughed out loud reading about your memories of your family's VCR. I remember when they first came out and I walked to our local video store weekly to get movies...I don't even think Blockbuster existed yet! I remember when my sister who is 10 years younger than me got into AOL and instant messaging. I was just figuring out the computer and she was constantly popping up on my screen...I couldn't stand it or figure it out! I really enjoyed reading your post and wonder too how I'll ever keep up! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I bet you can find "It Takes Two" on YouTube!!! LOL.(I have watched old Cosby Show reruns via YouTube). It is amazing how things quickly change. I too remember having an old dial up computer......and now everyone has laptops. I definitely think tech advances become more convenient---I definitely relate to your comment "I wonder if I can keep up". It is hard to imagine where will we be in 5, 10, 20 years? Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete